I found some very good videos that I posted below demonstrating how MDF Thermofoil kitchen cupboards are made. Most vinyl wrapped cabinet doors are manufactured in large plants. These companies are not multi product developers, but instead focus specifically on the door making niche.
Every small cupboard shop that makes kitchens and bathrooms can build the boxes, then order raised panel-vinyl clad doors to fit the cases. Most mass production faculties will allow custom sizes to be ordered.
Most companies offer the doors in two final finishes, high-gloss and matte finish. Gloss doors are outrageously expensive in comparison the duller coating.
Frames for glass inserts and mullion designs are standard selections that are available. Crown molding, light-valance rail and other decorative moldings are always optional items that can be ordered as well.
There are many colors to choose from:
- Antique White
- Oak Wood grain
- Embossed Wood grain
- And many more
The normal lead time is about two weeks from the time the order is placed until it ships from the Thermofoil plant. Most shops that are making kitchen and bathroom cupboards will allow six weeks from the time the drawings are approved by the customer-to the final install of the Thermofoil kitchen, office, laundry room, or bathroom cabinets is complete.
As you may have already noticed, these doors have a host of names:
- Ridgid Thermo foil (RTF)
- PVC Doors
- Vinyl Wrap
- Medium Density Fiber Board (MDF)
- Thermal Foil
- Vinyl Clad
Machines For Making Thermofoil Cabinet Doors
Machine 1-CNC Door Milling Equipment
They call them CNC routers or cabinet door making machines. These computer driven, automated systems can cost from fifty thousand ( $50,000) to well over one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).
The board that is used has one side raw and the other side already has a flat, hard-shell melamine finish on it.
How Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) Door Panels are Made
- The door size and design information is entered into the computer.
- The medium density fiber (MDF) board board is automatically loaded into the machine
- The cutting head begins the process by selecting which head to use with the proper router bit
- The center raised panel design begins to be cut
- The CNC machine switches to different router bits automatically for various cuts
- The outer edge detail is cut
Machine 2-Cabinet Door Vacuum Forming Membrane Press
- Veneer Press
- Vacuum Press
How Thermofoil Is Adhered To The MDF Door Panels
- The finished-cut, raised panel kitchen cabinet doors are placed on the flat grid
- The vinyl coating is pulled out from a large roll and covers all of fiber board cores
- The colored vinyl or wood grain pattern is positioned perfectly into place
- The “GO” button is pushed
- The automation begins of the heat and vacuum forming of the Thermofoil to the cabinet doors
- The MDF vinyl wrapped pieces are removed with a razor knife
- The excess is trimmed of by a laborer using a hand held tool
Thermofoil kitchen cabinet doors are made throughout the world. There are many manufacturing plants in the United States. Since the initial release of these vinyl wrapped doors, how they are made has improved tremendously. Years ago, there were vinyl glue problems that caused the doors to be defective after a couple of years. Advancement in how the MDF doors are made has almost eliminated delaminating issues altogether. Now most of the doors that get damaged are caused by negligent homeowners who allow the doors to be exposed to too much heat.
5 Responses to How MDF PVC Vinyl Kitchen Cupboard Doors Are Made